“I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word. Sometimes I write one, and I look at it, until it begins to shine.”
I've recently come upon some bloggers (Take Heart, The Wiegands) who have a great idea. They choose one word to guide the year ahead. This word steers their decisions and reminds them of the bigger picture. Words like Peace, Hope, Change, Brave, Light are so powerful and convicting and they play such a huge part in how we go about our days. "How can I bring peace to those around me today? How can I shine the light of Christ to people who are going through times of darkness? How can I be brave in the midst of this challenge?" It's so encouraging to think about how such a small thing, like a word, can hold so much potential for how we see the world, and how we fit in it.
So I'm totally copying. I'm picking a word for the year, but you'll have to forgive me for not choosing one that doesn't make you think about skipping through the flowering meadows of Austria and bursting into song.My word for 2013 is: Discipline. Here's why:
- I need discipline in taking better care of myself and my diabetes. Meaning, really paying attention to what my body is doing and not letting this disease take over my life. Oh, and that whole exercising thing? Yeah, so much of my anxiety and self-esteem issues would be solved if I could just make myself get up and break a sweat 5 times a week!
- I need discipline in taking captive thoughts that go through my head that just aren't True. I tend to see my life as a series of pass/fail situations. I have yet to figure out where in my past that came from, but it's not doing me very well now.
- I need discipline in being in the Word everyday. It's been too long, and my monogrammed study Bible is collecting dust. I need to remember that all those warm and comforting words, peace, hope, light, all come from His Word.
- I need discipline in being thankful in all circumstances. Gosh, that's hard. We've talked about this one before, but it's so true. Having a heart of gratitude requires constant practice!
- I need discipline in keeping up with this blog. Writing is like a cup of Sleepytime tea to my soul. I feel like I need a bit more direction with this space, though. And more photos. Lots more photos.
- Finally...sister needs discipline in learning how to cook a meal! The idea of cooking meat, vegetables, some sort of starchy side so that it is somewhat digestible and warm all at the same time gives me heart palps...
So there are a few vague but very real goals for this year. I'm excited about what new adventures, challenges and friends will come our way, and how new found discipline will help me along the way.
"Self-discipline is an act of cultivation. It require you to connect today's actions to tomorrow's results. There's a season for sowing a season for reaping. Self-discipline helps you know which is which."
Gary Ryan Blair
Gary Ryan Blair
For now...I hope 2013 makes you feel like this:
What's your word for 2013?