Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Nana's Huckleberry

The title of this blog is inspired by my beautiful and talented, Nana. When I was a baby, I had blue eyes and so she called me "Huckleberry." Since then they have turned a hazel-y, sage-y green, but I loved that nickname and I was so proud to be tied to the adventurous Huckleberry Finn from Mark Twain's stories.

My Nana is one of the most incredible women I've ever been blessed to know. She is a wonderful artist and writer. Her paintings of her grandchildren fill up her blue and white home in Pittsburgh. She is a student of film and poetry. She is an avid reader of all genres and can talk about her current read for hours. HOURS. She is a dedicated member of several book groups, film groups and her church's Stephen Ministry. She drives back and forth to Boca Raton BY HERSELF and often travels to far away lands with a group of her equally independent lady friends in tow. And let me tell you how my Nana can dance. I will never listen to Taio Cruz's "Dynomite" without thinking about her shakin' what her mama gave her at my wedding reception. Uh-MAZING.
She is generous, humble, wise and always knows just what to say to encourage and bring peace to an anxious heart. Whether it's a comforting Bible verse, a fresh perspective, or a story she heard from a speaker at Chautauqua, I know I'm going to be alright. One story in particular has stuck with me. She would tell me about a man driving down a dark and winding road through dense fog. With his low beams on, he still could only see a few yards ahead. Afraid he was going to drive off the side of the road, he stopped. After a few deep breaths, continued on down the road, driving slow and steady until he made it safely home. Sometimes we can't see very far in front of us and the future looks uncertain and scary. But if we take it one day at a time and trust in God's plan, He's going to get us home.

Gosh, I love this woman, and I'm so grateful to have her as a role model and friend. And no matter how old I get, I will always be her Huckleberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...