Thursday, November 1, 2012

Giving Thanks

"Delicious Autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."   George Eliot


It has been a hectic few weeks.  I've been in the process of planning Access Services' 1st Annual Fall Charity Event that took place this past Saturday.  You can gather that our organization has never done a fancy schmancy gala event before, but it was a big success in my book! Yes, there were hiccups, and things to learn and improve for next year, but right now, at this moment, I'm proud of the work that our team put into seeing it through.  


To say that I'm relieved is quite an understatement.  Since Saturday, David and I waited and prepped for Sandy to strike.  We were so grateful that we never lost power, or heat, or water when there are so many along the coast that have lost everything.  At the same time, we got ready for Halloween.  The candles, the decorations, the crisping, crunching leaves, the pumpkin carving and pumpkin seeds.  I'll be honest and say that Halloween is not my favorite holiday.  I usually end up feeling really embarrassed for all the girls that go out in barely any clothes, celebrating that its their one night out of the year to dress like a skank...um. no.   Sexy Chewbacca? Come on, ladies... 

Living in a townhouse community means lots of kids and therefore lots of trick-or-treaters! I was so excited! David carved his usual Philly Art Museum worthy pumpkin, and I kept it simple. I even had a Halloween playlist going as herds of kids rang our doorbell.  I may or may not have been more excited than they were.

And now, it's November.  Now, I can see my breath at night, Starbucks Holiday cups are out, and I'm constantly wondering when it's appropriate for me to start listening to the N*SYNC Christmas album.  But it's also a time for genuine and intentional thanksgiving, and it seems a little bit more meaningful this year.   

Remember this verse?..."Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus (1 Thessalonians 5:18)."  Yeah, that stings a bit.  Because sometimes, it doesn't seem like there is any way to be thankful for down right sucky circumstances.  I've been reading, One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp.  If you haven't read it yet, immediately open a new tab and order it from Amazon.  In it, she talks about this very struggle.  How do you be thankful for everything, the highs and lows?  She calls thanksgiving a discipline that requires constant practice.  Easier said than done.  She talks about how we are often unable to see God pass us by and go before us when things get rough.  She says,  "I've an inkling that there are times when we need to drive a long, long distance, before we can look back and see God's back in the rear view mirror.   Maybe sometimes about as far as heaven - That kind of distance." 

I'm really working on practicing being thankful, because the more intentional we are about giving thanks, the more we'll see how God has been faithful.  And when there are so many things in life that are unreliable, a good and faithful God is something to cherish.  

Today, on November 1st, I'm thankful for our sweet little home, waiting to be transformed into a Breitmayer story.   (Can't wait to show you the new kitchen...when it's done...which may be a while. Hold your horses!) 

What are you thankful for tonight? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...